The Liffey Swim 2011 took place on Saturday the 3rd September at 2.30pm. The course began at the Watling Street Bridge near the Guinness Brewery and finished at Custom House Quay. The first Liffey Swim race took place on the 22nd July 1920, almost a century ago with 27 male swimmers. It now attracts upwards of 250 swimmers. The swim is organized by Dublin City Council with swimmers of all abilities and ages competing. One of Dublin’s most historical events.